Build a Consistent Home Practice
April 1 - 29, 2016
Day 17 - Vinyasa
Dance in the Moonlight! Welcome to Day 17!
We are in the home stretch!!! Only 5 more practices!! Woo hoo!!! You are doing an amazing job! It's not easy to make space in our lives for something new. Days seemed to be so packed with to do lists and responsibilities. Squeeze in one more thing? Then you take a moment and realize that something like yoga adds so much positive to our day. Even a 5 minute practice can help clear our minds and make decisions easier. Our bodies feel stronger and more flexible. The stress that we carried in our bodies and minds ease and we're less likely to make unhealthy choices during the day.
What have you gained over these 3 weeks? Is your breath a little easier? Do you find yourself pausing before rushing into a choice? How are you sleeping? Are you aware of what's going on around and within you? Is it easier to reach to the top shelf? Or pick up that yummy kale chip that fell on the floor? 5 second rule people :)
Keep up your resolve and stay with me these last 5 days. Because we are going to do the Moon Salute today.
Plan for about 14 minutes with today's vinyasa practice. Grab a yoga block if you have one or a big can of tomatoes :) Or as one creative friend has done, a set of Harry Potter books. :) Where there's a will, there's a way!
Once we complete our 21 day journey together I will leave up the pages and videos for an extra week. Then on May 8th they all will be coming down. If you've missed a practice, or 2, or 3 :) sneak them in on the weekends, or the extra week we'll have. Because they'll be going away May 8th. The next challenge will be in July. So mark your calendars! It will be great to take with you on vacation!
Full Moon Madness! Do you howl at the moon?
Here's mine: Most definitely! My dad usually starts and I join into the chorus! It's always good to liven up the neighborhood!
Let me know in the form below or a comment on Facebook. :)
The intention for this 21 Day Challenge series is to do something everyday Monday - Friday. We are focusing on doing the basics at home and getting into a rhythm. Pace and modify according to you needs. I will always give you options. Remember you know yourself best, listen to your instincts.
Click on here to download the Journal Page (then simply click the print icon or download arrow to save it to your computer). I have filled in a sample one for you to see at the bottom of the page. Get creative and find wonderful color pens!
Benefits of Vinyasa
(Linking Yoga Poses with Breath):
REDUCE STRESS, ANXIETY, AND DEPRESSION
- Take a look at your eyes in the mirror before you practice. Notice the quality of light in your eyes. Is there a sparkle? What is your level of worry on a speedometer of 0-100%? How much of that worry really is your's? Notice how the movement of this practice will move these big feelings up and out. Then always fill back up with a beautiful golden pink light - wash it over your body.
CALMS THE MIND
- Moving with the breath will calm the waters of the mind. Deep breathing in and out will lower blood pressure and bring you to a place where you feel space between thoughts. There will be room to breathe and simply be.
- Even when you feel sluggish and tired and just want to run to the fridge for a quick energy hit. Yoga is a better choice. Try just doing a downward dog or puppy pose and see how bringing your head lower than your heart can help boost your energy.
FEEL STRONGER AND MORE FLEXIBLE
- We're using a lot of body weight resistance, holding ourselves in planks, downward dogs, and a few more poses too. With these same poses we open and lengthen our body. And with repetition you'll find that it's easier to reach up for your favorite cup on that high shelf. Or even to reach into the back seat of the car.
IMPROVE CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONING
- In the beginning we may need to take an extra breath or two in a pose. Over time you will find your lung capacity and breathing improve as you link movement and breath.
with light and love,
Missed a Challenge?
No worries, click on the day below to catch up. :)
Week 1 - Get your body moving.
Week 2 - Where's your spirit?
Week 3 - Where's your spark?
Comments or Questions? Send them to me here and I will get back with you as soon as I can.